Thursday, March 21, 2013

Holy Week

The season of Lent is coming to a close, and we will be experiencing Holy Week beginning this Sunday, Palm (or Passion) Sunday.  I don't know about you, but I've always experienced a "bait-and-switch" feeling on Palm Sunday.  We've been celebrating in a somber key during the Lenten season, and I look forward to the high-stepping celebratory music of the Palm Sunday worship service.  The celebration comes to a screeching halt mid-service when we read the Passion story, concluding with Jesus' death and burial.  Even though I know what to expect, I always leave the service a bit traumatized and open-mouthed.  How could we let that happen?  And the people, the same who waved palms and shouted, "Hosanna!" shouted, "Crucify him!" How could we have asked for that?

 "Hosanna" digital scrapbooking layout uses Palm Sunday Collection Mini

And if that doesn't sober you up enough, we move to Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.  A last meal with betrayal in the midst, a night of desperate prayer, friends who abandon you, a day of jeering and mocking, lashes, and death on a cross.

 "New Covenant" digital scrapbooking layout uses Value Pack: Via Dolorosa

"Pierced" digital scrapbooking layout uses Via Dolorosa Collection
 
These services aren't happy services.  But I need them as part of my worship because it helps me understand and realize how big a deal Easter is.  And to what lengths God has gone because he loves me so much.  That much.  Grace is freely given to us - to me - but someone paid the extravagant price.  I love you, Jesus.

Oh yes, there is a happy ending!

Layout by my friend Joyce Schardt uses Value Pack: Via Dolorosa

"Risen" digital scrapbooking layout uses JIF 6: 12x12 Risen






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Elisha. I love that you are creating things so important to us all.